Friday, July 30, 2010

Importance of Having a Dream & What to do While the Boys are Away!


"What is most essential is invisible to the eye!" ~ From "Le Petit Prince" by Antoine de Saint Exupery.

I am pretty certain (a quick search would confirm this) that I used this very quote to frame another post many (many) posts ago. I come back to this quote time and again because it rings so true for me. The book "The Little Prince" is all about the importance of dreaming and I believe wholeheartedly that the things that really matter are matters of the heart (the things that we don't immediately see when we look at someone).
Sophia helped me bake dreamy island cookies for our farm delivery yesterday. She was so enthusiastic to be in the kitchen with me. I taught her how to use a butter knife to level off the flour in the measuring cup and she was thrilled. Her eyes lit up- "Cool, Mom" she said as a smile appeared across her face.
My husband and son have been on a road trip together this week and it's just been me and the girls. I decided to redecorate our guest room without the boys around and it has inspired me to recognize a dream. It's actually a dream I have had tucked away for quite awhile but this week has helped me to recognize it, claim it as mine and share it with you.
The couch in the picture pulls out to a bed and the room is so cozy now for a weary traveler to rest.
My dream is to some day run a (small yet simple) bed and breakfast in my home.
It would be a space for people who need a bit of pampering and self-care a quiet place to get away from it all.
I would make special treats from my recipe book and set it out for breakfast and then pack cookies and biscotti for guests as they head out to explore the area. I would offer warm towels and heated coffee mugs. I would provide stamped postcards with a pen at the writing desk. (Tiny touches that would make guests feel special).
For now, it will remain as a dream. My house is awfully busy with the hustle and bustle of raising kids but someday the house will be so quiet that my dream may just have a place and time to come true.
For now, it's been fun to have a little extra time with just the girls and an opportunity to dream.
I bet that you have a dream of your own. What is it? Have you named it? Do you take tiny steps today so that one day it will come true? If not, what are you waiting for?

No comments: